Yesterday, on our walk, I've come to the conclusion that its silly season. Everywhere we went there seemed to be an old man dressed all in red with big black boots and a big red hat to top it off. I can't remember too much but I think it happened last year as well. I was too young to know what was going on last year but after a very good year of learning and ducking and diving, I'm afraid I'm still none the wiser. I need to find out what's going on but for now, I'm happy to sit still whilst grandad took me on our walk.
Now this should've been a normal walk but every corner we turned, grandad found somebody to talk to: the lady from the bakehouse, the driver man from the bakehouse, the postman, two ladies with poncy looking dogs which were shaved so much I could see their bums, a man from the garage, the tanned man from the old corner shop. Everywhere there was someone to halt us in our mission to exercise Millie. At one point we were there for ages and I mean ages. I sat there patiently watching the cars and buses go past, I saw some men go past one way and then return, in what seemed like several days later, sporting full beards. I strummed on my buggy safety buckle to the tune of "Incey Wincey Spider" but still I waited, I twiddled my thumbs so much that I think they are now shorter than they were on Sunday. I looked around assuming grandad had wandered off and left me and Millie when, with a sudden burst of speed, the buggy wheels sprung forward as we made our way home. Grandad said that he was desperate for a wee and I thought that it served him right for talking so long to complete strangers.
We came back at a speed that made my eyes water and Millie's feet steam until we got to the front door, a white van man asked grandad if he could leave a parcel at his house for the neighbours. Grandad needed to take a wee even more now but got talking to the van man even though he didn't want to. If he wore one of my nappies he could quite merrily chat away whilst piddling to his hearts content and nobody would notice (unless he does that little shiver thing that babies do). Once the idle chat was complete, grandad raced us all in and shot upstairs. Any longer and he would've burst the banks and he would've resembled a fireman's hose when dropped (the action rather than the dimensions I hasten to add).
Once we settled down, I went to the kitchen and got the big jug out of the cupboard and the big milk from the fridge. It was so heavy I had to drag it. Then I got the rice krispies and took them to grandad.
"Are you hungry, Wee Man?" he said as he put the rice krispies back in the cupboard.
With the items I'd collected, it was pretty safe to say that my belly was in need of fulfilment. I pulled the chair up to the worktop as I normally do but this week, I made sure I was safely positioned so as not to repeat last weeks flying lessons.
"Egg, egg" I said to my apprentice chef as we prepared for one of our favourite homlettes. Grandad cut up some tommy toes, ham, cheese and some other funny stuff. Whilst he sorted the cooker out, I kept taking bits of cheese and ham and he'll never know until he reads this. Then he done the usual egg thing that I showed him last week. He cooked it so much that there was fog in the kitchen and the bottom of the homlette was that sunburn colour. He folded it up and popped it on his plate, then cut some off for me. It was really good, I love it and I even managed to pass some to Millie when grandad wasn't looking. Millie loves me even more when its dinner time but I don't know why.
To both my surprise and delight, Mummy came to get me just after the kitchen fog cleared and after a cuppa, we made our way home. Think I'm still at grandad's next week when some bloke is coming to visit next Tuesday night. Grandad has to do some painting or something in time for the man's visit so we'll see how he gets on.
Until next week, my faithful followingers
Dogg
No comments:
Post a Comment